Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thrifty Thursday - SIMPLIFY

I am trying to find ways to simplify my life and re-work our budget.  And it's the Holiday Season, which means more in nearly every aspect of life, right?  More money spent, more activities, more food etc.  So, I am coming up with ideas to have a special Holiday Season without breaking our budget, being overloaded with activities, and not going to the store every day to get more ingredients (I love to bake!).  Here are just a few things that I have incorporated into our lives and I want to share them with you in hopes that these tips are helpful.

*Play games with family (Skip-bo happens to be our 'game of the season')
*I asked my kids to make some paper snowflakes to hang on our windows instead of me buying more decorations (and don't kids love to see their artwork displayed for all to see...and their artwork brings a smile to my face more than store bought decorations)
*Turn on Pandora for Christmas music. (I love music.  Turning on pandora.com and choosing my favorite 'station' is a perfect way to add cheer in the home as well as getting quality 'concerts' without having to go anywhere!)
*Bake treats with what is in your pantry.  Yesterday I found an awesome recipe for Toffee Crackers and asked Jake to help me make them.  Super easy and super delicious.  Plus, he had a great time helping Mom.  recipe at end of post
*De-clutter (ok, maybe not a 'holiday activity' but it sure brings cheer to my when I know my house is a little less cluttered and a little less dirty)
*Light a candle.  This just brings all sorts of fuzzy feelings about Christmas.  Find your perfect Christmas scent and light it up!  I found two great candles at Menards on Black Friday for $1.99 each.  That certainly didn't break our budget.  I also have my wax warmer scents that I had purchased last year.  So, for under $5 I have a lovely scented home.

What are some ways your are enjoying your Holiday Season this year?

Toffee Crackers
50 saltine crackers
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
Line jelly roll pan with foil and spray non-stick spray on foil. 
Place crackers in rows on pan
Melt butter and sugar and bring to a boil.  Boil for 3 minutes.
Pour over crackers and spread evenly
Bake at 325 for exactly 8 minutes, do not overbake
Let cool.
YUM!

*I had all these ingredients on hand


2 comments:

  1. Those toffee crackers sound delicious!! Love your thoughts about simplicity this season. ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete