Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thrifty Thursday - Freezing Cabbage

 I had a half a head of cabbage in my fridge that needed to be used up, but we don't eat a lot of cabbage.  I decided to freeze it and bag it in snack sized bags so that I can pull a small amount out to add to a soup when needed.  I think it's the perfect way to not waste the cabbage, thus not wasting money, and a great healthy addition to soup!  

I filled a pot with water and allowed it to come to a boil. I then added the shredded up cabbage and let it blanch for 2 minutes (cook at a boil).  After the two minutes were up I took the pan off the burner, drained the cabbage and cooled it all off with a cold water bath.  Let it set a few minutes longer to make sure it was cooled down.  Then I put it in snack sized bags labeled cabbage and today's date.  Stick in the freezer and when I make my family a pot of soup, I can add some cabbage to it!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great way to NOT waste food and also a great addition to soups - maybe some hot dishes too.

    Saving money ..... let me think ..... adding layers instead of turning up the heat, mixing saved leftovers to make a hot dish instead of throwing out small leftovers, saying 'no, I don't really, really need that item' and then hurry on by so I don't change my mind :). That's all I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! Especially the 'hurry on so you don't change your mind.' :)

      Delete