Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday - Baby Burpcloth

 An easy and fun gift to give a friend who's had a baby is homemade burpclothes.  They are unique and everyone loves a handmade gift!  I went to JoAnn Fabrics to pick up a package of 4 Gerber Burpclothes.  I believe they are about $6 or less.  And...with a coupon...even less!
 At JoAnn's I also found this pink John Deer flannel fabric.  I have normally used regular cotton, but wanted to give flannel a try this time.  I love it!  I picked this fabric out because the burpclothes are for a friend who's baby girl announcements had this exact pattern as a background, so I know they like this.
 Iron out the fabric to get all the wrinkles out and then measure the length of the burpcloth. Cut the length of the fabric about an inch longer than the length of the burpcloth (you will be folding over the edges for sewing and want to make sure the flannel will be the same length as the burpcloth). I cut the width at 5 1/4".  Unfortunately, and I don't even know how I forgot, I didn't get pictures taken of folding and ironing the edges all around the flannel.  I iron the edges over about 1/4" on the sides and however much under on the ends to fit the length of the burpcloth and iron it down and then pin it to the center of the burpcloth.  I then sew very close to the edge of the flannel all around the flannel piece.  I used a white thread which gives it a nice look.  Any color thread you choose will be nice. 
I made two of the burpclothes.  Aren't they cute!?!?  I can't wait to get them mailed to their sweet baby girl.

Have fun going to the store and finding a cute print for a girl or a boy!  You can't go wrong giving burpclothes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment