Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thrifty Thursday - Homemade Bread

I don't know about you, but I get tired of going to the store and buying bread.  It's the cost of it, and sometimes the taste, that gets to me.  I pack my kids lunches each day for school (there's another Thrifty tip: pack your kids lunches!) each day and so it requires quite a bit of bread.  I have tried making bread from scratch without much success.  Until now!  I love this recipe that I found in one of my cookbooks: Powder River Pantry.  It's a speedy dough recipe that is used for dinner rolls or donuts, but I wanted to give it a try and make bread with it.  Perfection!  And it's not the typical 5 million hour process.  It makes up two loaves that will last a little longer than one loaf from the store.  And...the kids love it...and the crust!  If you can get a kid to love bread crust, you know you're on to something grand.  They always say, 'Mom, we love your homemade bread!'  That pleases this Momma for sure.  I've listed the recipe and broke down the estimated cost for you.  Seriously, you can't go wrong.  Enjoy your simple bread making time and cut off a warm slice for yourself and smear it with butter.  You'll never look back.

Speedy Dough:
2c. warm water
1/3c. sugar
2pkg or 4 1/2tsp yeast
1Tbsp salt
2c. flour
2 eggs
1/3c. shortening
5c. flour

Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast.  Let set until yeast is dissolved.  Add salt and 2c. flour.  Beat with mixer.  Add eggs and shortening and beat 1 minute.  Add in 5c. flour (more if still sticky) and beat gently at first and higher later as flour gets incorporated.  When dough is mixed and not sticky, let stand for 20 minutes, covered.  Split dough into two greased loaf pans, cover and let stand for 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until top is a nice golden brown.  Take out of oven and spread butter on top for a nice glistening look.  Cool.

*I use my Kitchenaide Mixer with the dough hook and it works wonderfully!

Brakedown Of Cost:
Flour: 50 cents
Eggs:  20 cents
Sugar:  25 cents
Water: 0
Shortening: 25 cents
Salt: 5 cents
 
Total for two loaves of homemade bread:  $1.25!!
*estimated costs

I am sure when you go to purchase your next loaf of bread, you'll choke at the price and remember that you can make homemade bread for over half the cost.  Plus, there are no preservatives in this bread!

2 comments:

  1. Your bread looks SOOOOOOO good. That would have tasted perfect with our soup tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That loaf of bread is perfect - so pretty and I can smell it now. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete